Yoga refreshes your mind and spirit. Tones your body. Yoga for seniors, Keeps your internal organs and hormonal system in balance. As age progresses, it’s more important to specialize in HOW you are doing instead of what proportion you are doing. What is Chair yoga?
What kind of yoga should the seniors do?
There is a range of standing, sitting, lying down, and chair yoga exercises for you to choose from.
The yoga positions (asana) suggested for an elderly person may be the same as those for a younger individual. The difference lies in the effort and time spent in a posture, and the flexibility involved
Benefits of yoga for seniors
- Yoga helps keep the joints steady and flexible.
- Helps maintain healthy bones and muscles.
- Improves digestion and clears bowel movements.
- Regulates blood pressure.
- Keeps the mind engaged and happy
- Alleviating depression and loneliness
- Enjoy your yoga at any age
Chair yoga for senior
Seniors may find it convenient as these asanas can be done while sitting on a chair.
- Chair yoga relaxes the neck and back muscles, releasing pent-up stress.
- Helps alleviate body pain, tension, and fatigue.
- Increases flexibility enabling seniors to bend and reach the toes.
- Helps coordinate body movements and improves the sense of balance.
- Increases overall muscle strength.
Pilates and yoga are both excellent exercises for seniors
Pilates is a form of low-impact exercise that aims to strengthen muscles and improve posture and flexibility. Pilates moves target the core, but they also work other parts of the body. In Pilates, you are usually performing the exercise on a reformer machine or a mat. Those with limited flexibility can do the exercises safely in a chair or wheelchair. Sitting in a chair and doing Pilates movements can give older adults the benefits of these workouts without lying down.
Pilates is an excellent balance exercise for seniors. If you’re thinking about what is Pilate exercise good for? The list below can help you. In addition to improved flexibility and posture, the health benefits of Pilates include:
- Pilates can improve balance and stability.
- Pilates is one of the exercises that can wake up your body and brain, and it can Increase mind and body awareness.
- Pilates helps seniors build strong muscles.
- Pilates can develop core strength.
- Pilates Increases energy level.
- Relaxation and stress management.
- Decrease the effects of debilitating medical conditions.
- Injury prevention or rehabilitation related to muscle imbalances.
- Prevent and treat back pain.
What precautions should seniors take?
- Substitute warm-ups with brisk walking and joint movements.
- Practice yoga under a trained yoga teacher and discuss your ailments with him/her.
- Focus on repeating poses rather than holding any posture.
- Rest adequately after each pose.
- Make sure that your body has adjusted to your daily yoga routine before trying out new asanas.